I broke myself... | NorahAura I broke myself... - NorahAura

2/27/20

I broke myself...


No shit, there I was....

Today, started much like any other day.  Finished up with morning communications and coffee, and having a bit of extra time available, and being increasingly eco and health conscious, I decided to ride the bus for a meeting.  With springtime upon us, I was excited to get a jump start on increasing my step goals.  Laptop slung, cell phone squarely in my jacket pocket, wearing my ridiculously furry ushanka hat, trodding along, my mind started to wander.  I was looking forward to finishing out paperwork following a great offer for a remote opportunity with Creighton University (out of Omaha, Nebraska) as a Senior Drupal Architect and pondering some details leading up to a scheduled session with a new mentee this afternoon.

Imagining Tulsa's beautiful green rolling hills during spring and summer, though somewhat, decidedly, a lack of sidewalks along S Memorial Dr that I failed to notice a perfectly symmetrical depression and found the land had suddenly fallen out beneath me...
This was not the first time I had tripped in my life.  In fact, as a young child, I became well trained in the art.  Largely, due to a mischievous cousin, whom thought it a hilarious circus act to trip his younger counterpart.  So regular this activity, that I had developed a particular talent in stepping out of attempts to being thrown to the ground.  Turning a potentially damaging exercise into productive venture, I later enrolled in gymnastics and tumbling for a time.  Needless to say, this time, I was not so lucky.  It all happened so quickly, as they say.... After years of training, reaction, turned into disaster... Right foot rolled and popped, instinctually bending knees and letting my center of gravity fall to the left, catching myself with my left foot.  What I didn't anticipate, was additional obstacles (those darn invisible pine cones!) and uneven ground so close by.... Left foot rolled, with an extra and slightly louder pop... now letting go completely, falling to the ground, I feared the potential circumstances I was facing.  After gathering myself, yoga breathing to calm the rush of adrenaline, sucking up tears and flexing both feet, I already knew the left was worse than the right.  On my knees first, right foot up and stable, then attempting weight on the left.... NOPE... that's not right... down again on to the sweet, sweet ground...

Then, commenced the real action, calling hubby, 911, cancelling meeting, ambulance ride and confirmation, yep, I broke my ankle.

After 40 years, I can no longer proudly state that I have never broken a bone.  :( Thankfully, it is not a load bearing bone (fibula) and will likely not require surgery.  The orthopedic doc will confirm soon (hopefully tomorrow).  Booted and crutched, my new goal is mastering the art of the hobble.  Hmmm... or maybe I can get one of those cool knee scooters!

Shannon "tekNorah" Medlin Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment